Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tower Tale Shorts: A Recent Exchange

It's been a while since my last post.  My bad.  And this one is about yet another dog/owner interaction.  Chalk that up to coincidence and less about a fixation of mine.

Summer in February combined with fantastic surf puts such a permanent smile on your face that it reaches deep inside of you and roots itself in your heart.  I was so enchanted.  And I was more than happy to share the good vibrations.

A scan of the beach revealed a fellow walking a dog that is only affiliated with the canine clan through genes alone.  It was a tiny white thing that was probably confused to find itself traveling by its own effort rather than comfortably ensconced within an oversized Gucci bag.  Toy breed or otherwise, a dog is a dog and my duty was to inform the owner that an existing ordinance required required his puff ball's immediate exit from the warm sands.

The fellow noticed my approach and as I had his attention, I pointed to the pooch and smiling, shook my head, "Nope.  No dogs."  He immediately picked up the pup and closed the gap between us.

"Unfortunately dogs are not allowed on the beach, but you are more than welcome to walk him on the boardwalk," I said.

"ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!  THIS IS THE FUCKING UNITED STATES OF FUCKING AMERICA!!!!"  he spat even louder than the all capital letters conveys.

Oh, yep.  You would be correct if you assumed that I was taken aback.  And more than a bit.

"Ah, that it is sir, but unfortunately you still have to take your dog off the beach."

"I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE THIS!   JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!"

"Okay."  I replied.  That was all I had.  I was still trying to figure out what was going on.

"Hey, you have a nice day." he said with a calm sincerity.

"Thank you?"

"I HATE THIS FUCKING COUNTRY!"  he then bellowed, emphasizing each word with increasing venom.

Oh. I got it.  I had just been in the eye of the hurricane.  It spun its way to the back of the beach and vanished between the hotels that line the boardwalk.

In case you were wondering, the fellow had no accent.  And the sun did return.  And my smile still stretched from my face to my heart.

An illustration form my forthcoming Children's book.


© Copyright 2012 David S. Carpenter. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment